[b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6-7

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 13:41:07 EDT 2008

Pere:
Reading the text without points leads me to look for other contextual clues
as to understanding which word is meant when a spelling could have two or
more meanings. These two verses are more than normally difficult to read,
which makes me look harder at what they could mean.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:41 AM, <pporta at oham.net> wrote:

> > Now your questions:
> >
> > 1) a) the article is not necessary b) look at the context of the
> preceding
> > sections, an article is not used either for XBL and GLT
>
> I think these two are construct groups where every second member has
> article
> (hakesef, hazahav): then the whole group is understood with article.
> Therefore your argument does not seem to be valid.
> Again to my question: why the precedent cases come with article (they are
> determined) but... kad is INdetermined?
> Within the dynamics of the sentence... would not be more logical "hakad"?
>
> Are they necessarily construct? Or are they verb subject object phrases?
If they are verb subject object phrases, then this verse has all four
phrases with the same grammatical structure.

> > 2) The verb is Y$B, not $WB, it means to settle down, so the (L fits the
> > context of settling down upon the earth. The verb is a weqatal, not
> > wayyiqtol, fitting the context of the next section with its yiqtol.
>
> Both the dictionary I've at hand (BDB) and Oham tell this verb comes from
> $WB, not from Y$B.
>
> Look at www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d125p.html and
> www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d157.html
> as regards verbs ayin"waw
> And then look at www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d106.html and
> www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d140p.html
> as regards verbs pe"yud.

Take away the points, and the consonants WY$B could be from either. Context
with the following verb in the verse indicates that it is a weqatal verb.
Context in connection with (L indicates that the root is Y$B. Context
indicates that the points are wrong (I'm assuming it's pointed as a
wayyiktol). (L makes perfect sense in context with Y$B.