[b-hebrew] Question on vowel

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Thu Mar 20 02:02:11 EDT 2008

I'm seeking the reason for the different vowel in two words that are
structurally equal.

I'm telling on the cluster consisting of Qal Participle singular of verbs
lamed"heh + suffix of first person singular, -ny

Look at www.oham.net/out/S-d/S-d1496.html and then at
www.oham.net/out/S-d/S-d1497.html
In the first, the second root consonant takes tsere. While in the latter the
second root consonant takes qamats.
Does anyone of you which is the reason for this?

Maybe the reason is that the first case is in pause while the second is not?
Or maybe the reason is that aleph does not take tsere but qamats
(disregarding of pause or non-pause position of the word)? Is there another
reason for these different vowels?

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Catalonia, Spain)