[b-hebrew] Biblia Hebraica transcripta

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Mar 19 23:09:37 EDT 2008

Jim,

As I see it the Hebrew tri-literal root consists of three distinct
uni-literal roots. In this, the root L [or if spoken AL-LA]
represents elevation, and the root M [or if spoken AM-MA] represents
bulk. The letters aleph and ayin are mere fillers. In this sense the
roots (LM and )LM are essentially the same root. From the root (LM
Hebrew derives, by the addition of personal pronouns or identity
markers, the words (OLAM, 'time-space', (ELEM, 'big boy', (ALM-AH,
'big girl' and (ALUM-IM = (LUM-HEM, 'youth'. From the root )LM Hebrew
derived the words )ALUM-AH, 'sheaf, shaft, beam, pile', as in Genesis
37:7, )ULAM, 'big hall, portico' as in 1 Kings 7:6. Also derived from
it are )ILEM, and )LMAN-AH, translated as 'dumb, mute' and 'widow',
respectively. We also encounter )ULAM in the sense of 'but, however,
moreover, above all' as in Genesis 28:19. Hebrew speakers nowadays
call a bully )LIM, and violence )ALIM-UT.
I am not sure if the letter yod in the name (EYLAM of Genesis 10:22
is radical or not. In any event, the fraction LAM refers to loftiness
and massivity. Who or what is lofty and massive is not revealed to
us, it could be the people and it could be the landscape. Venturing
beyond this would be unsafe.
Notice that L is also found in the names )AMRAPEL, )ELASAR, KDARLA
(OMER, )EYLAM and TID(AL of Genesis 14:1.

Isaac Fried, Boston University