[b-hebrew] Ecc 12:6-7

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Wed Mar 19 13:41:57 EDT 2008

> First I read the context, these are the concluding verses of a section
> referring to old age and death, in a poetic form.

It is quite wise to read the context, yes!

> Now your questions:
>
> 1) a) the article is not necessary b) look at the context of the preceding
> sections, an article is not used either for XBL and GLT

I think these two are construct groups where every second member has article
(hakesef, hazahav): then the whole group is understood with article.
Therefore your argument does not seem to be valid.
Again to my question: why the precedent cases come with article (they are
determined) but... kad is INdetermined?
Within the dynamics of the sentence... would not be more logical "hakad"?

> 2) The verb is Y$B, not $WB, it means to settle down, so the (L fits the
> context of settling down upon the earth. The verb is a weqatal, not
> wayyiqtol, fitting the context of the next section with its yiqtol.

Both the dictionary I've at hand (BDB) and Oham tell this verb comes from
$WB, not from Y$B.

Look at www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d125p.html and
www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d157.html
as regards verbs ayin"waw