[b-hebrew] Biblia Hebraica transcripta

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Mar 16 22:21:40 EDT 2008

David,

One thing is crystal clear, to wit, that there never was a pair of
xet and ayin letters in the Hebrew script system. Never. The myth of
the double letters [or one letter selected to represent two ancient
distinct meaningful sounds] originated precisely from the desire to
explain the seemingly puzzling situation of the existence in Hebrew
of such pairs of words as NAXAL, 'water source' and NAXAL, 'settled',
inevitably drawn from an apparently common root. But it is all in
vain, unnecessary and even counterproductive.  For a brief moment you
[or for that matter the venerable Blau] may find respite in the
expediency of xet1 and xet2 --- in the claim that the two words come
from "different" roots NXL of a merged X, but then there comes the
example of numerous other, seemingly unrelated, words stemming also
from equal roots, and for which there is no claim of double letters.
How do you account for all the different words spawned by the root
DBR? Are there five "different" DBR roots? [Gesenius thinks the root
DBR has the essential meaning of 'arrange in a row', which is a step
in the right direction, but still too specific to be useful.] It
leaves also unresolved the question of what is the "difference"
between the two similar roots NXL, and what it means for the two
roots to be "different". Also, who is to say when xet=xet1 and in
what instances xet-xet2?
In fact, this deus ex machina contrivance of a double Hebrew xet and
ayin letters results, methinks, from a profound misunderstanding
[yes, even by the )ILANOT GDOLIM upon which you lean for support] of
the nature of the Hebrew root and it but helps to obfuscate the
relationship among Hebrew words derived from the same root. I would
discard the double xet and double ayin hypothesis swiftly and entirely.
There is no denying that the root (LM is a variant of BLM [BLIMAH],
GLM [GOLEM, GELEM], HLM, XLM [XALOM], KLM, CLM [CELEM], $LM [$ALEM],
TLM [TELEM], all essentially meaning 'tall and massive, of substance
and body'.
There is no denying that the root NXL is a variant of NHL. Water may
NHL=NXL on the face of the earth, or a person may NHL-NXL on the face
of the earth, from the root perspective the two phenomena are one and
the same.

Isaac Fried, Boston University