[b-hebrew] Afula vs. Biblical Ophra vs. Biblical Ephrathah

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Mar 10 18:13:01 EDT 2008

Dear Jim,

There are actually several different places called Ophrah in the Bible. The
Ophrah of Benjamin (eg. Josh. 18:23) is usually identified at Taybeh (one of
several modern Arab towns by that name), NE of today's Ramallah. The usual
explanation for the name shift is that "Afrit" is a she-demon in Arabic, and
since no Arabic-speaker wants to live in a place called "she-demon", the
name was changed to Taybeh, "good".

The Ophrah of Abiezer of Judges 6:11, hometown of Gideon, is presumably in
the territory of the Abiezer clan of Menashe, Gideon's tribe. Afula used to
be a popular suggestion, until it turned out that there is almost no
evidence for Iron age I settlement at the site. The same goes for the Taybeh
in the southeastern Galilee, on the Issachar hights. In an article published
in Cathedra 22 (1982), Hanan Eshel makes a good case for identifying this
Ophrah with a small Iron I site south of Samaria. So while the shift
Ophrah-Afula is linguistically possible, phonetic similarity is not the only
factor that goes into site identification.

As far as Ophrah - Ephrathah, well, we've been through that one before.

Yigal Levin