[b-hebrew] Biblia Hebraica transcripta

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Tue Mar 4 10:41:15 EST 2008

Isaac Fried:

You wrote:  “The two words (ELEM, 'youth', and TA-(ALUMAH, 'mystery,
concealment', come from the same root essentially meaning 'amass, bury under'….”

Does ayin-yod-lamed-mem/(YLM at Genesis 14: 1 come from that same root?  Is
it a west Semitic word?  If so, would it mean the “Dissembler” country?  “Bury
under” could mean “dissemble”, used in a negative sense.  Or do you go with
the traditional view that ayin-yod-lamed-mem/(YLM is a non-west Semitic word
referencing a far-off, non-Semitic country?

Ayin-yod-lamed-mem/(YLM at Genesis 14: 1 sure looks like a perfectly good
west Semitic word to me.  Does it “sound foreign” to you?  Is it a non-Semitic
foreign loanword, borrowed directly from a non-Semitic country, or
alternatively borrowed indirectly via an east Semitic version of a non-Semitic word for a
non-Semitic country?

Ayin-yod-lamed-mem/(YLM at Genesis 14: 1 looks like a virgin pure west
Semitic word to me.  To me, it has no exotic, foreign flavor at all.  But you have a
much, much better feel for Biblical Hebrew than I do.  What’s your take on
the linguistic background of ayin-yod-lamed-mem/(YLM at Genesis 14: 1?  Is it
foreign/non-west Semitic?

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois