[b-hebrew] Biblia Hebraica transcripta

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Mar 3 23:45:13 EST 2008

David,

I have looked in the site of your post and this is what immediately
caught my attention:
1. It is inconceivable that the Hebrew root (LM  has the evolved
meaning of 'conceal', which as an act holds a supposition as to an
implied intention by the actor. Neither is there any support I can
see for the "other" (LM meaning 'agitated'. The two words (ELEM,
'youth', and TA-(ALUMAH, 'mystery, concealment', come from the same
root essentially meaning 'amass, bury under', and the artifice of two
"different" [the tricky argument of phonemes versus phones] letters
ayin becomes thus unnecessary. Otherwise, we would need, methinks, a
third root (LM [and a presumed third "proto-semitic" ayin?] for (OLAM
'eternity, creation'.

2. Trying to, even remotely, relate NAXAL-AH, 'property', and NAXAL,
'pool, stream' via 'water, irrigation' is in my opinion a grave
mistake. Different Hebrew words derived from the same root need not
be notionally related --- there need not be any "horizontal"
relationship whatsoever between different Hebrew words derived from
the same root. Consider, for instance, the example of $EBER,
wreakage', and $EBER, 'grain, sustenance'.
I am inclined to think that the root NXL is a variant of the roots
XLL and KLL, 'include'. Thus NAXAL MAYIM, 'body of water' is a
variant of MI-KAL HA-MAYIM of 2 Samuel 17:20 [in present day Hebrew
ME-KAL is 'container', and ME-KAL-IT, is 'tanker'] , and  we are
relieved by this of the need for the artifice of two "different"
original het letters.
There are, of course, otherwise at least two evidently equvalent het
letters in Hebrew: xet and he.

Isaac Fried, Boston University