[b-hebrew] yorenu (teach US)

Gabe Eisenstein gabe at cascadeaccess.com
Mon Jun 30 17:10:18 EDT 2008

Harold,

Your reading seems to be the standard one, in thinking that the point is
just to illustrate the unrepentant and defiant nature of the Israelites
(that's us!). And if that's all there is to it, you are right that
there's no need to translate R.b.b.Hana's yorenu as "teach us" rather
than "teach him" (as we agree to translate it in Isaiah). Nonetheless
Soncino saw fit to translate "teach us" -- why?

I find myself unsympathetic to the standard reading, because it seems to
me that the Talmudic context is to some extent describing the virtue of
"talking back" to tradition,  rather than demanding meek obeisance. In
the Sanhedrin context, the larger question concerns whether God or
humans get to decide the fate of the Mishnah's three bad kings with
regard to the world to come; and Rab has already described one of the
Israelite "answers" to "the prophet" as a "victorious answer". Therefore
I think "teach US" here emphasizes the positive side of the Israelite
resistance.

Your point that the Israelites might not like the manner of their
"instruction" is reflected in the immediately preceding statement of R.
Nahman, "Even with such fury let the Merciful rage against us, but that
He redeem us."

Sincerely,
Gabe