[b-hebrew] code names in Numbers 13

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Jun 30 01:13:40 EDT 2008

I had always thought that Ya'akov's second suggestion was the most likely -
the spies' short names show that they were part of the younger generation,
although I did suspect that there was something more there. The names Sodi
and Satur ("secret" and "hidden") do seem apt for spies, so Ya'akov may be
right in looking further.

Karl's comment that Caleb "was not even Jewish", and therefore "expendable",
has four basic faults:

1. "Jewish" in this context is a huge anachronism. "Israelite" would be more
fitting. "Jewish" usually refers to the religious group(s) that developed
during the Second Temple period (or the Exile), most of whom, of course,
were descended from the tribe/kingdom of Judah.

2. "Expendable"? If he was such a loyal Yahwist that he even became a Judge,
he was certainly not "expendable". And why would you think that in the
Israelite thought of the time, a non-Israelite Yahwist was "worth" less than
an Israelite?

3. Besides, you can't have it both ways: you claim that Moses sent his
personal assistant Joshua because he "so expected their return". In other
words, he had full confidence that the God who commanded him to send the
spies would not alow them to be harmed. So he would not expect Caleb to be
harmed either - therefore his being "expendable" is really not an issue.

4. While you are correct that there is a scholarly theory that the Calebites
were not originally part of the tribe of Judah and sort of "joined on" and
were eventually incorporated into the tribal genealogies, that could only
have happened after the tribe had settled in Canaan, and thus has nothing to
to with this story. Again, you can't have it both ways: you either look at
the Bible as a literary construction which is not neccesarily "historical",
in which case the spy story has to be seen within its own context - and
there is NO indication IN THE STORY that Caleb was anything but Israelite,
OR you consider the Bible to be "historical", in which case you have no real
criterion for accepting the details of this story, while assuming that the
genealogies of Caleb are litearary constructions. The spy narrative and the
genealogies are different genres, composed by different people at different
times for diferent reasons, and "reading" one into the other is problematic
at best.

Yigal Levin