[b-hebrew] yorenu (Isaiah 28:26)

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 23:40:57 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Gabe Eisenstein wrote:
> Isaiah 28:26 = /vayisro l'mishpat elohaiv yorenu/
>
> English translations always render something like: "His God
> instructs/chastises him to judgment, and teaches him."
>
> My question concerns deriving "teaches HIM" from  /yorenu/. I would
> think that the translation would be "he will teach US". Yet all the
> translations agree. What am I missing?

To add to all that has been written, n has a dagesh here, and the vowel
is seghol.  Compare Isaiah 2:3 where the vowel is tsere, and there is no
dagesh.  The significant part, as far as the nun energicum, is the dagesh.

For the nun energicum, see
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2007-December/034652.html

Yitzhak Sapir