[b-hebrew] bgdkpt (was: About Dagesh's)

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sun Jun 29 04:04:36 EDT 2008

Although not properly a linguist, I would like to point out that
"Proto-Semitic" is nothing but a scholarly construction, which, while it
serves as a useful model, probably never sounded anything like that model.
I'd also point out that before the inverntion of writing, and probably until
the invention of the alphbet, there was probably much more "fluidity" in the
connection between the pronounciation of specific sounds (phonemes) and
their meaning. In other words, we think that we know the "proper" spelling
of a word, and that changing that spelling changes its meaning. But before
there was "spelling", meaning was probably much more connected to context.

Does that make sense?

Yigal Levin