[b-hebrew] Interchange of L/lamed with R/resh in Biblical Hebrew

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Jun 26 11:05:59 EDT 2008

David,

Yes, but the whole thing is useless or trivial or sheer waste of
time. Linguistics requires that the 'linguistic unit' under
consideration be first ascertained to be meaningful (and minimal!) to
qualify for morpheme status, but it does not tell us how to achieve
this knowledge. Once I know the meaning of a certain 'linguistic
unit' I don't need linguistics to tell me it is a morpheme. It is
what it means to be. This is tautology at its best.
My ideas about the structure of the Hebrew word merit careful
consideration, rather than derision. It is pity, but instead of
concentrating on Hebrew we waste our time on the barren word
inventions and interplays of Indo-European linguistics.

Isaac Fried, Boston University