[b-hebrew] Interchange of L/lamed with R/resh in Biblical Hebrew

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 25 18:56:05 EDT 2008

Dear Isaac,

It seems to me that you are again unable to provide answers to the
critique levelled at your position and do not engage with, or seek to
understand, linguistic methodology proper so that you can still hold on
to your fallacious view of linguistics, the language of BH, and
etymological reconstructions.

Look, you wanted to converse in "plain" English, so I attempted a
definition of "morpheme" for you that was in plain English. Now you just
want to nit-pick. Of course I could define "morpheme" more elaborately,
and also define the words I did use: "unit", "bears", and "meaning".
Comparing the definition I gave and reading the sections I pointed to in
Joüon-Muraoka and Waltke-O'Connor would, if you wanted to see, elaborate
the point and flesh out more of what "morpheme" means. The answer's
there if you want it.

If your view of linguistics is that it is "but one big tautology", why
don't you just stay clear of it and stick with mathematics? Why write a
book on etymology if you do not understand the basics of the required
methodology, viz. phonemic and morphemic analysis (of course, there's
more to than simply this; one also has to be familiar with historical
linguistics, etc.)? I'm sure you would take to task someone who
attempted some algebraic maths without having first come to grips with
how to add, subtract, etc. Similarly, etymological reconstruction cannot
be done without first knowing some linguistic basics.

I find it quite ironic that someone who does not understand linguistics
claims that linguistics is "but one big tautology"! My suspicion is that
claiming that linguistics is "but one big tautology" is but a cop-out
indicating (a) that you don't want to budge from your position, even
when proven wrong; and (b) you will never budge from your position, even
when proven wrong. I more than willing to be proven wrong on these two
points!

Regards,
David Kummerow.