[b-hebrew] Interchange of L/lamed with R/resh in Biblical Hebrew

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 24 21:14:58 EDT 2008

Dear Isaac,

As you probably are already aware, any of the common BH lexicons is
based upon a traditional understanding of phonemics: BDB, HALOT, etc.
The results in these lexicons are overwhelmingly fruitful (of course, I
am aware that the semantics of lexemes in the lexicons , and unlike your
own approach which produces results which are downright wrong (in the
case of pronominal compounding), entirely questionable (eg Gen 22:9),
entirely subjective (how do "know" that G, H, X, K, Q are "equivalent",
and not, say, G, H, P, R?), and for the most part gibberish (eg you
"analysis" of various lexemes below).

A brief discussion of the study of phonemics in relation to BH in
accessible works may be found in Joüon-Muraoka §5gb and Waktke-O'Connor
§3.3.1.

It seems to me that your great error is having unwittingly attributed
morphemic status to phonemes, and this is why the analysis and results
are so confused (and confusing to everyone else). This also explains why
the so-called "semantics" or "meaning" of your "phonemes" has to be, and
is, so vague. Phonemes do not semantically mean anything, but rather
contrast and distinguish meaning. It is morphemes which have semantics.
This is where you have tripped up.

It also seems to me that you have avoided a response to my questions
below, reput simply: Why can every other known language be analysed
successfully using traditional phonemics, but BH is unique in that it
cannot be? Crosslinguistic evidence would dictate strongly that you are
more than likely wrong.

Regards,
David Kummerow.