[b-hebrew] Interchange of L/lamed with R/resh in Biblical Hebrew

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 24 18:12:43 EDT 2008

Dear Isaac,

I'm afraid that your semantic analysis comes across to me as simply
gibberish. The method is pure subjectivity. Like I said, we cannot
discuss evidence such as Q$R and G$R before you accept the basics.
However, you dismiss the basics of phonemic analysis. Phonemics is
indeed a linguistic science despite your claim that it is not: it
follows a clearly articulated methodology and produces results which may
be reproduced and/or falsified. A textbook on phonemics or an
introductory course would answer your question: "How can the elementary
particle of language be defined in terms of this transcendental thing
called 'meaning'?"

Every language that I am aware of may be analysed phonemically. Your
claim is that BH cannot be. That claim requires substantial
justification in the face of the overwhelming crosslinguistic evidence.
In any case, BH has indeed been traditionally analysed following a
method of normal phonemic analysis, the results of which produces a
coherent linguistic system. I see no reason to abandon this in
preference for a method which is entirely subjective, is relevant only
for one language, and produces very questionable results.

Regards,
David Kummerow.