[b-hebrew] Interchange of L/lamed with R/resh in Biblical Hebrew

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Jun 24 09:36:38 EDT 2008

David,

I looked up 'phoneme' and this is what I find "In human language, a
phoneme is the smallest posited structural unit that distinguishes
meaning". Here lies the devil, in 'smallest', 'distinguishes', and
'meaning', all barely definable or ascertainable. How can the
elementary particle of language be defined in terms of this
transcendental thing called 'meaning'? And, all in retrospect
relative to its change? I am really terribly sorry, but this can not
pass for science. I know that phoneme is a YSOD MUSAD in indo-
European linguistics, but I truly believe that we should abandon talk
about it in Hebrew.
In the indo-European languages "distinguishing meaning" may be
passable but not in Hebrew. If the roots Q$R and G$R have the same
meaning, then Q and G are here equal phonemes [but different
phones?], but if the two roots differ only slightly in meaning, then
Q and G are only barely distinguishable phonemes [something between a
phoneme and a phone?]. In Hebrew it is not all-or-nothing. In any
event, all this is too bewildering to me and I am afraid that you get
yourself entangled in something not worth getting even close to.
This is why I prefer the use of 'equivalent'. The letters G, H, X, K,
Q are equivalent in the sense that if you substitute them in a Hebrew
root, the root retains its basic meaning. Thus, the Hebrew roots G$R,
[H$R], X$R, K$R, Q$R are equivalent, spawning words of only finely
differentiated meaning. The words QE$ER, 'knot, relationship' and GE
$ER, 'bridge', are different words, yet they are still the same. A GE
$ER is but something that M-QA$ER, 'connects', the two sides of a
river. The root H$R is not in use, but one can not understand what X
$R [see XA$R-AT MAYIM of 2 Samuel 22:12, and XI$UR of 1 Kings 7:33]
means without understanding that it is but a variant of Q$R. Thus, XA
$R-AT (ABIM, is but QA$R-AT (ABIM, clouds tying into each other to
form an unbroken canopy. The root K$R spawned the more abstract KA$ER
and KA$IR, 'fit', being but QA$IR, 'connectable'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University