[b-hebrew] About Dagesh's

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Jun 21 21:10:44 EDT 2008

David,

1. It is not mockery but a modest reminder that before we set out to
build theoretical castles in the air we need to pause and reconsider
how flimsy, dubious, uncertain and controversial the raw data
possibly is.
2. The articles you cite are not easy to get. Posting them would be
helpful.
3. If someone prefers to see $IBER of Exodus 9:25 as 'broke to
pieces' or 'broke over and over'; or GIDE(A of Psalms 107:15 as
'hacked to smidgens' it is his choice. Some Hebrew grammar books say
so too [Gesenius, on page 141 of his grammar book, asserts that "The
fundamental idea of the piel, to which all the various shades of
meaning in this conjugation may be referred is to busy oneself
eagerly with the action indicated by the stem"] but the value of
their supporting evidence is practically zero. I myself don't find
any justification for this extra reading into the text.
4. Similarly, you may look at the $IXET [with a taw] form of Genesis
38:9 as a hint to recidivism, or you may consider it a guard against
the reading $AXAT with a tet.
5. Evidently, piel is principally causative as in GIDAL, XIZAL, and
so on. It is also used to create words with an extended, or implied,
meaning distinct from the one in the paal form, for instance, BACAR,
'reaped', and BICER, 'fortified'; or from a name, for instance ZANAB
and ZINEB. This device is put to good use now in spoken Hebrew with
the purpose of enlarging the vocabulary, for instance, $ATAQ, 'was
silent', $ITEQ, 'paralyzed'; QAMAC, 'grasped', QIMEC, 'economized'.
6. It is conceivable that some of these piel forms were not
"originally" there but were introduced by the nakdanim or their
forerunners to embellish the reading.

Isaac Fried, Boston University