[b-hebrew] About Dagesh's

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 20 20:40:30 EDT 2008

And I presume that we take your own view, Isaac, with a bag of salt,
given your characteristic mocking of a position in the place of any
substantial critique.

Regarding your previous post concerning the intensive function of the
Piel, it has been shown that one of the functions of the Piel is indeed
that of verbal plurality (what was known by the pre-theoretical
terminology of "intensive"). See the following:

Fehri, Abdelkader Fassi. 2003. “Verbal Plurality, Transitivity, and
Causativity.” Pages 151-185 in Research in Afroasiatic Grammar II:
Selected Papers from the Fifth Conference on Afroasiatic Languages,
Paris, 2000. Edited by Jacqueline Lecarme. Amsterdam Studies in the
Theory and History of Linguistic Science 241. Amsterdam/Philadelphia:
John Benjamins.

Greenberg, Joseph H. 1991. “The Semitic ‘Intensive’ as Verbal
Plurality.” Pages 577-587 in Semitic Studies in Honor of Wolf Leslau: On
the Occasion of His Eighty-Fifth Birthday, November 14th, 1991. 2 vols.
Edited by Alan S. Kaye. Wiesbaden: Otto Harrassowitz.

Of course, this is not the only function of the Piel as there is also
the resulatative function of (generally) stative verbs; see:

Jenni, Ernst. 1968. Das hebräische Pi‘el: Syntakisch–semasiologische
Untersuchung einer Verbalform im Alten Testament. Zürich: EVZ-Verlag.

Regards,
David Kummerow.