[b-hebrew] Transliterations from Hebrew to Greek to ? and theMassoretes

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 18:56:18 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Kevin P. Edgecomb wrote:
> Yitzhak wrote:
>> Why do you think this list signifies segholization?
>
> I write:
> I don't think it does.  But in comparison with the transliteration
> scheme of Origen: barasith versus brisith or birsith (note that
> Epiphanius will have been working with an eta already itacized), we're
> clearly dealing with the same process of the shortening/sharpening of
> vowels in the two centuries since Origen's time that segholization is
> likewise a symptom of.

The only useful text for Origen's Hexapla is the Psalms Mercati
palimpsest, as published by Mercati and with Alexey Yuditsky's
notes.  This is a complete consistent version.

As for the words, many of them display Aramaic and Mishnaic
Hebrew tendencies, especially in Epiphanius' list, which appears
to me to be better preserved.

I do not see how any of this has to do with segholization.

Yitzhak Sapir