[b-hebrew] Transliterations from Hebrew to Greek to ? and theMassoretes

Kevin P. Edgecomb kevin at bombaxo.com
Wed Jun 18 18:08:44 EDT 2008

Yitzhak wrote:
> Why do you think this list signifies segholization?

I write:
I don't think it does.  But in comparison with the transliteration
scheme of Origen: barasith versus brisith or birsith (note that
Epiphanius will have been working with an eta already itacized), we're
clearly dealing with the same process of the shortening/sharpening of
vowels in the two centuries since Origen's time that segholization is
likewise a symptom of.

Regards,
Kevin P. Edgecomb
Berkeley, California