[b-hebrew] Transliterations from Hebrew to Greek to ? and theMassoretes

Kevin P. Edgecomb kevin at bombaxo.com
Wed Jun 18 17:33:43 EDT 2008

I thought that looked familiar....

Rev Williams, could you perhaps specify your objections?  It's quite
apparent in transliterations found in Jerome's works passim, most of
which were written in Judea in the late fourth and early fifth
centuries, that this segholization was in process there and then.
Added to this is the earlier evidence of transliterations in the Greek
versions (LXX/OG, etc) where we find for instance, Samson, not
Shimshon, etc.  And later, we have the Masoretic system fully
developed.  Things changed over the centuries, and while the specific
dates may be hazy, the progress is clear.  As the transliterations in
the two lists which I presented (from Codex Hierosolymitanus and
Epiphanius) are obviously closer to the latter pronunciation than the
earlier, as are Jerome's, these should be appropriately placed along
that continuum of development right where I placed them, when
Epiphanius and Jerome were both known to have worked, in the late
fourth and early fifth centuries.

Regards,
Kevin P. Edgecomb
Berkeley, California