[b-hebrew] About Dagesh's

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Jun 15 23:14:06 EDT 2008

As for the masora we need to separate fact from fiction, or practice
from theory. It is a fact that in Exodus 12:31 the word C)U is with
an apparently authentic dagesh in the zade, why is the dagesh there
is free for all theoretical explanation.
I am suspicious of arguments depending on syllable formation. Some
grammar books have this "rule" that after a qametz, considered by
them for some obscure reason to be a "TNU(AH GDOLAH", the schwa is "NA
(", or an opener of a syllable. By this logic the word $ABRU, for
instance, is to be read $A-BRU [$AAA-BRU?], which could only be
suggested by someone who has actually never tried to speak Hebrew.

Isaac Fried, Boston University