[b-hebrew] About Dagesh's

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Jun 15 00:39:23 EDT 2008

Yaakov,

It is apparently a font or encoding issue, possibly resulting from
the fact that I use a Mac. Yitzhak and Vadim get the Hebrew right,
methinks.
I looked up Minxat Shai at www.hebrewbooks.org but it does not list
the other places. I think I know of two other instances: Exodus
12:15, where S)OR is with an S dgusha, and Psalms 17:10, where SAGRU
is with an S dgusha as well.
The book is scanned from an 1814 edition written in "Rashi" script,
which is inconvenient to read. Do you know of a later edition,
possibly available on-line, and set is square letters?
My point is that the dagesh and nikud are separate systems, the union
of which may be confusing. I suggest therefore [possibly not at the
right place and utterly Quixotic, as some people believe that the
dagesh was handed down to Moses on Mount Sinai] that the Hebrew
Academy in Jerusalem banish the dagesh completely and for good
[except in BK"P] from pointed secular writing. After all, what is the
purpose of the dagesh in the M of (AMI, 'my people'? Those who
pretend to read it (AM-MI, speak Hebrew in their heart not their
mouth and would have read it equally with as without the inner dot.

Isaac Fried, Boston University