[b-hebrew] "th" and "b"

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Jun 14 19:10:13 EDT 2008

Dear Karl,

While there were differences between Galilean and Judean pronounciations, I
would actually assume that the differences here are chronological: the Greek
spelling of Bethlehem would have followed the Septuagint of the OT, which
was about 300 years earlier than the Greek of the NT.

It's like "OT Greek" spelling of the name "Simeon" reflects the Ayin that
was still pronounced at the time, while NT and Josephus "Simon", rendering
the same Hebrew spelling, shows that the Ayin was no longer pronounced.

Yigal Levin