[b-hebrew] Jeremiah 3:7

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 17:05:33 EDT 2008

skeptic dude wrote:
> Is God admitting to making a false prediction in Jeremiah 3:7?
I must admit to being reluctant to respond to "skeptic dude."  What a
dumb handle!  Do you have a whole name, Dave?

Whatever ambiguities exist in the text (it may mean "she (Israel) would
return," "she (Israel) will return," "you (m. s.) should return," and
other modal nuances, I would hardly call thinking that Israel will,
would, should or might return is a "false prediction."

Jeremiah consistently expresses that the future is contingent on
people's choices.  See 18:7-10 where YHWH clearly admits contingency and
his own flexibility of mind.  I would recommend the masterful commentary
on Jeremiah in Abraham Heschel's /The Prophets/.

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B.M. Rocine