[b-hebrew] Translating Targum Frag. of Is 1:27

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 12:20:38 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Jonathan Henry wrote:
> Yitzhak,
>
> Thanks for addressing a feature that I've been mulling - the absence of the
> waw. I'm taking another look at this passage with your reconstruction in
> mind.
>
> Jon Henry
> Perkasie, PA

I further think now that "they will bring her back" is also the most appropriate
reading.  It creates the best parallelism to "tpdh".  The idea of
reading "w$byh"
alludes to the returnees of Zion.  It might therefore be the result of an early
"don't read such, read instead such" midrash developed during the Persian
period.

Yitzhak Sapir