[b-hebrew] Past tense with gutterals

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Jun 5 23:01:05 EDT 2008

It's amazing how posts on this subject by native Israeli speakers have been
ignored. Modern Israeli Hebrew does not pronounce aleph and ayin as "silent
letters". Both are usually stops. Many Israelis do distinguish an aleph from
an ayin, although often the difference is sublte. Certainly in cases where
the pronounciation is what makes the difference between m. and f., it will
be emphasized. So the f. form is definately nat(a, while the m. is nata
(which some would pronounce nata( ).

Yigal Levin