[b-hebrew] Past tense with gutterals

David H ai_ya at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 13:42:36 EDT 2008

I've been looking at the past tense with gutterals recently, and have some questions concerning pronuciation.
Take for example nata' נטע  [with an ayin at the end]; 'she' form  of the verb would be  נטעה  but my problem is, when spoken aloud, in MODERN ISRAELI HEBREW  would it be 'notea' with the schwa pronounced as 'e', or simply 'nota' [the same as the masc. form]?

Another question is also, ח [chet] seems to be treated as a non-gutteral in some places, take for example, 'bachar' בחר  it is supposed to be pronounced 'bacharah' in biblical hebrew with an extra- 'a' because of the gutteral, but I am assuming in modern israeli hebrew many speakers would simply say 'bachrah', is this correct?

Thanks for the help

David