[b-hebrew] yamim or yamin? -- "Adamim" vs. "Adamin-the-Negev"

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 12:05:04 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Jim Stinehart wrote:

> Yitzhak Sapir:
>
> You wrote:  "[T]he pervasive use of final nun for mem probably relates to
> nasalization as a dialect feature that can be traced back to the earliest stages
> in the development of Hebrew."
>

> 1.  Thank you for that valuable information.  That neatly explains the
> different endings on the three suggested transliterations for item #36 of pharaoh
> Thutmosis III's mid-15th century BCE list of cities in Canaan:

Dear Jim,

Let me then also point out the following:
1) I don't believe "nasalization" or any sound change is the root.  I
believe it is strictly
Aramaic influence.
2) I think it does not predate the Assyrian occupation of the area,
after which Aramaic
became a dominant language of communication.  In fact, I think Aramaic
influence is
visible already in the 6th century BCE inscriptions and underlies
Biblical Hebrew in its
entirety.

Yitzhak Sapir