[b-hebrew] yamim or yamin?

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 09:49:49 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Bryan Cox wrote:
> A 'newly discovered' ancient text nicknamed 'Gabriel's Vision' or 'Gabriel's Revelation' is
> currently grabbing headlines.  Its controversial nature lies in the phrase l'shloshet yamin,
> or 'in three days'.
>
> My question is about the 'nun'.  Searching the text of the Hebrew Bible, I only ever find
> 'yamim' (ending in a 'mem').  Where does the word 'days' end in a 'nun' as in 'yamin'?

Dear Bryan,

Look at the last word in the book of Daniel.  That is the most
appropriate parallel, really.
Interchange between nun and mem could take place at the end of the
word.  There are
examples in 2 Kings 11:13 rcyn vs rcym elsewhere in the passage,
Ezekiel 26:18 )yn
besides )yym, (yyn in Micah 3:12 vs. Jer 26:18, and mlkym vs mlkyn in
Prov 31:3-4.
Also compare the plurals in the book of Job for mlym vs mlyn.

Yitzhak Sapir