[b-hebrew] pelesheth hithro'a'i

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Jul 7 12:39:04 EDT 2008

Gabe,

The decision about the root of HITRO(A(I of Psalms 60:8, if it is of
the RU( kind or the R(( kind, is made by the translators, methinks,
post factum, after the meaning of the word has been surmised. I
consider RU( being a mitigated RUC, and R(( a mitigated RCC. The
existence of the letter R in the root refers it to a material state
of aggregation of dispersion, for better of for worse. Thus, TRU(-AH
is the vibration of the air and the dispersion of the sound, RA( is
'flimsy, frail, insubstantial, lacking solidity or strength', or even
'crashed' as in Psalms 2:9, R(-UT is 'a loose relationship or
friendship between free people', and R(-YON is an ephemeral idea
sloshing in the mind.
I think that the poet likens himself here to a rock on which PLE$ET
is invited to crash itself. In other words, the poet is saying "PLE
$ET, have a crush on me."

Isaac Fried, Boston University