[b-hebrew] biblical names

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Jul 3 19:12:58 EDT 2008

Yaakov,

If a Hebrew mother calls her daughter today Hedi or Orli or Neri or
Liat we know that she mean what she says, namely, 'you are my echo',
'you are my light', 'you are my candle', 'you are mine'. The very old
biblical names from the very first formative years of the nation of
Israel are a deep mystery to us. More so, because they where possibly
slightly yet deftly distorted [LEBI -> LEVI?] by later pious editors
to hide their suspected heathenish origin.
It appears to me that the old names were high compounds of curt
positive terms or short sacred names given to a child as token of
good omen, for instance, AX-AB, AM-RAM, LEVI = EL-AB-HI), or L-HA-
BDIL, BA(AL= BEL = AB-EL, A$TORET = E$-AT-)OR-AT, CUR = E$-)UR. These
compounds happen to incidentally produce "words" of apparent meaning,
for instance, XAMOR = XAM-)OR = AX-EM-)OR or KALEB [not KELEB] = K-EL-
AB, or (AKBOR [not (AKBAR] = AX-AB-)OR.
Otherwise a name needs not have only one meaning, for instance, DEBOR-
AH, that may mean 'the eloquent', not 'a bee', or GMALI that may be
related to GMUL, rather than to GAMAL, 'camel'.
As to SUSI, I don't know. If his mother decided to call his so, then
she had her reason.

Isaac Fried, Boston University