[b-hebrew] yorenu (teach US)

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 11:24:38 EDT 2008

Gabe:

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Gabe Eisenstein <gabe at cascadeaccess.com>
wrote:

> Dear Yitzhak,
>
>> The connection between YRH as "shoot" rather than "teach" [according to
> my reference book the former is for qal, the latter for hiphil] would
> also work for me, as being shot or struck can be a metaphor for a change
> in perspective or understanding, especially the radical change of
> repentance.
>

> Gabe Eisenstein

As someone who concerns himself with lexicography, your reference book is
wrong. YRH is used in the qal for the throwing or shooting forth of physical
objects, such as pharaoh's army in the sea, lots or arrows, and in the
hiphil for the shooting forth of both physical objects, such as arrows,
rain, etc. as well as metaphorically shooting forth of ideas and teachings.

To make sure I got it correct, I double checked my concordance as I wrote
this note.

Karl W. Randolph.