[b-hebrew] yorenu (teach US)

Gabe Eisenstein gabe at cascadeaccess.com
Tue Jul 1 15:43:48 EDT 2008

If I have understood the very helpful comments of David, Yitzhak and
Harold, I conclude:

1. Although the jussive rendering of "let him" is not possible for the
Biblical text, it could have been intended by the rabbi (as a piece of
wordplay).
2. The simple "his God will teach him" is also compatible with the
standard reading (Israelites are rebellious and just want to avoid
responsibility).
3. "His God will teach us" is also a possible reading, if we choose to
leave the dagesh out of the nun in the Talmudic yorenu, and if we regard
the shift from "him" (vav with nun energicum) to "us" (standard nun-vav
suffix) as a piece of wordplay.

What Harold has shown me is that even in the case of "teach us", the
assertion can still be understood as simple defiance, or in his words
"daring God to teach them". (On the other hand, an interpretation more
favorable to the Israelites would be opposed to reading "teach him",
which would indeed indicate that they don't take responsibility even for
their own inclinations.)

Therefore the translation is a matter of judgment and how one
understands the Talmudic context. I assume that this is not the place
for such argumentation. But I'll conclude with a few simple observations:

1. I regard the "Israelites" and "Knesset Yisrael" in the Talmudic
passage as referring to all of us, not some "bad old Israelites" to whom
we can feel morally superior.
2. The preceding gemara has suggested such a self-questioning
perspective, as for example when Rav Ashi meets the bad old King
Manasseh and discovers the king to be not only his superior in Torah
scholarship but also in moral willpower. If Rav Ashi can't simply feel
superior to Manasseh, then we can't simply feel superior to some
"defiant Israelites" in a parable. Furthermore, the immediately
preceding paragraph of the gemara concerns a context in Zechariah where
the "Israelites" are the post-exilic audience who are going to reverse
the bad behavior of their ancestors (as are we).
3. Harold's assertion that "the passage leads up to the discipline of
the inclination" is questionable. What the passage more clearly leads up
to is a request for instruction. Instead of defiance, we can just as
well read it as an admission of the fact that we need God's help even
for the carrying-out of repentance -- that even when it comes to sins
that are clearly our own fault, we can't rely on ourselves alone to be
able to overcome the feelings and misunderstandings that led to them. We
need God even to find the way to God. Then the inclination to simple
defiance can be harnessed and channeled into the kind of "challenge" to
God that Abraham, Jacob and Moses engaged in.

That's how it strikes me anyway.

Thanks again,
Gabe Eisenstein