[b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar books

Brian Abasciano bvabasciano at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 13:42:51 EDT 2008

My impression has been that Jouon and Muraoka is the most authoritative (or well respected or what have you) Hebrew grammar. Is this (still) true?

God bless,

Brian Abasciano

********
Message: 9
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 10:57:50 -0400
From: Isaac Fried <if at math.bu.edu>
Subject: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar books
To: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>

I have looked recently in the Hebrew grammar book of Jouon and
Muraoka and was pleasantly surprised by its occasional display of
common sense as well as their often manifest healthy scepticism of
established notions, traits often lacking in the all encompassing
older book of Gesenius.
Here are two examples:
1. On the shwa they say, on page 50, "Whereas it is common practice
to speak of two kinds shewa, namely vocalic (mobile) shewa and silent
(quiescens) shewa, we believe that the shewa is essentially an
indication for zero vowel", which is the opinion of most Rabbinical
sources. See for instance the well researched Hebrew grammar book
Dikdukei Shai, ?????? ?? by ????????, ?????
?????.
2. On the function of the piel form they say, on page 151,
unfortunately only hesitatingly, haltingly and of two minds,
"Traditionally it has been considered intensive in meaning. It is to
be doubted whether there is a direct link between this assumed
function and the doubling of the second radical". Then they go on to
say, on page 154, " ... the question how the function of Piel in
relation to other conjugations, notably Qal should be defined still
remains one of the major challenges facing Hebrew and Semitic
linguistics." Here I am really baffled first by this quest for
DEFINITION, which is arbitrary, and then also by their awe for
something that should be very clear to any school boy.

Isaac Fried, Boston University