[b-hebrew] That piece of halibut was good enough for YHWH

Jane Peters janepeters13041939 at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Jan 24 23:59:15 EST 2008

Hi there!

  My friends and I were discussing how we would translate a famous line from Monty Python's 'Life of Brian' into biblical Hebrew.

  The line was:
  'All I said was, "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah."'

  (Actually, the exact line is "All I said *to my wife* was ...", but we were making it more generally applicable.)

  1 The "all I said was" doesn't seem to have an obvious equivalent in Hebrew, so we played around a bit, and came up with something broadly comparable. Is there something closer to the English idiom?

  2 Also, we had to rely on the modern Hebrew word for 'Halibut': PW+YT

  3 We're also not sure whether to say "piece of halibut', or just 'halibut'.

  But this is our first run at it:

  L’-DBRTY  KI  ’M  L’MR HPW+YT  HHW’ YCLX  LYWHW
  Please let me know how it should be changed!
  Jane