[b-hebrew] xrm and the Canaanites' VIP treatment

Eric Forster eric.forster at ca.rr.com
Wed Jan 16 17:54:32 EST 2008

From: "Bill Rea" <bsr15 at cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz>
To: b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] xrm and the Canaanites' VIP treatment

You wrote:

*I gave you an example. Read it. Its offensive to most modern people.
*A
*woman gets raped and the rapist has to marry her with no chance of
*divorce. Who's that punishment for? Here if you did what's in those
*verses
*you could been facing time in the slammer if your lawyer doesn't
*defame
*and slander the victim sufficiently well to convince the jury she was a
*slut. I doubt you could even find on New Zealand's statute books a law
*which forbids a man to seduce a married woman. Morally its still
*wrong,
*but not legally. The laws in the Torah aren't there to look pretty. They
*were living law codes which were actually used.

It is safe to say that the concepts of rape and adultery have evolved quite a bit since the Torah was written.  Our present-day notions of what adultery is would probably look quaint or totally out of touch to the Israelites, and well they should.

Eric Forster

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080116-0, 01/16/2008
Tested on: 1/16/2008 2:54:33 PM