[b-hebrew] soferim vs. sopherim

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Jan 15 18:59:20 EST 2008

It's a matter of convention. Academic Bible scholars usually follow the
"Christian" tradition of transliterating a "soft" or undotted Hebrew Pe as
"ph", since in Greek it was rendered with a Phi. Jewish scholars dealing
with rabbinic literature (such as the Talmud), as well as most modern
Israelis, prefer "f". I spell my son's name "Asaph" in English, while most
Israelis with the same name would write "Assaf".

Yigal Levin