[b-hebrew] to cause to destroy

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Fri Jan 11 03:20:35 EST 2008

Kenneth,

One needs to distinguish between the root and the act. The root YB$
expresses the mere idea of bodily 'dryness' or 'solidity'. The problem with
an initial Y is that it may be construed a grammatical addendum. Hence the
hiphil form of this root is HOBI$, where HO = HU) and I = HI) are the actors
in the drama of a body made to assume the state YB$. The actors may be
different persons [namely wind and the fruit] as in Ezekiel 19:12, "The east
wind withered her up", or the same person [namely the vine] as in Joel 1:12,
"The vine has dried up". I see there no meaningful difference between
HA-GEPEN HOBI$-AH and HA-GEPEN YAB$-AH.

Contemporary Hebrew uses GARAM, 'caused', only in case of an indirect or
remote responsibility.

Isaac Fried, Boston University