[b-hebrew] Ezra writes Torah was Re: Wellhausen (Brian Roberts)

Bill Rea bsr15 at cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Jan 10 15:43:34 EST 2008

Brian wrote:-

>Most of the vocal scholars I've read still hold to the ANCIENT (1670)
>suggestion by Spinoza that Ezra wrote the Pentateuch, but has 338 years
>provided proof for this notion?

I was under the impression that this idea predated Spinoza. I can't
remember where I read it but I thought there was a Jewish legend
that Ezra wrote the Torah either from memory after it had been
destroyed or after drinking some firey liquid. Sorry, my memory
on this is pretty hazy. Can anyone help?

Bill Rea, ICT Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail bill.rea at canterbury.ac.nz                </   New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax  64-3-364-2332        /)  Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator                    (/'