[b-hebrew] to cause to destroy

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 9 23:37:40 EST 2008

Kenneth,
You could use natan as a helping verb as in Exo 12:23. Natan is sometimes
translated "cause", as in Deut 28:7,25.

Another way would be "raise up to destroy" as in Jer 51:1

Or "with you I will destroy" as in Jer 51:20.

It may be that the hiphil $XT can have the meaning, "cause to destroy".
It is often translated "corrupted" which could mean "cause to destroy".

The 1st hiphil usage of $XT is
Gen 6:12 "All flesh had corrupted its way upon the earth" (Darby)
Maybe a more literal, but less readable translation would be: "All flesh had
caused its way to destroy upon the earth"

The next hiphil usage is the next verse,
Gen 6:13 "I will destroy them with the earth" (Darby)
"with" is not there in the Hebrew, neither "and". "with" in English here is
ambiguous. It could mean, "I will use the earth to destroy them", or "I will
destroy them together with the earth."
Maybe a better translation would be: "I will cause the earth to destroy
them."

The next hiphil usage is Gen 18:28
Gen 18:28 "wilt thou destroy all the city on account of the five? And he
said, If I shall find forty-five there, I will not destroy it." (Darby)
Both "destroy"'s are hiphil.
Maybe it could be translated: "will You cause the lack of the five to
destroy the whole city? And He said, I shall not cause that to destroy it if
I find there 45."

And so on, the rest of the hiphil instances of $XT seem to me that they
could be translated as causative.

Personally, I think that the causative sense of the hiphil is over-neglected
by translators.

Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit