[b-hebrew] At Which Bethlehem Did Rachel Die?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Wed Jan 9 16:07:25 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw at com-pair.net>
> Finally, Jerusalem is not mentioned because it is known as Salem as early
> as
> Genesis 14 with Abraham and Melchizedek. It is not known as Jerusalem
> until
> David captured it in the early 10th Century BCE.
>
> Rev. Bryant J. Williams III

Dear Bryant,

I'm surprised at this statement. Jerusalem is mentioned by name in Josh.
10:1 ff., 12:10, and Judges 1:8 and 21. So even within the Bible, it was
certainly known as Jerusalem way before David. Outside the Bible, of course,
it is mentioned by name in the 20-18th century BCE Excecration Texts and in
the 14th century Amarna letters. The use of "Salem" in Gen. 14 seems to have
more a literary purpose than anything else.

Yigal Levin