[b-hebrew] to cause to destroy

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Jan 9 01:09:47 EST 2008

Kenneth,

It is my understanding that the HI in the hiphil form is the personal
pronoun HI), ‘he’, for the perpetrator of the act, and that the internal I
is similarly a contracted HI) for the “beneficiary” of the act, here $XT.
Thus HI$XIT = HI-$X-HI)-T is already ‘he caused him to be in the state $XT.
A Hebrew word is already a mini sentence including the actors and the act.
The middle HI) is represented by a mere I since an additional consonant
would have confused the root.

Contemporary Hebrew uses the act GARAM for ‘cause’, thus HU) GARAM
L-HA-$XAT-AH is ‘he caused spoiling’.

Isaac Fried, Boston University