[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 and order of ideas

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Jan 8 00:51:05 EST 2008

Gary,

The root ZR( essentially means 'spread'. Hence ZERA( for the loose plant
seeds to be disposed and fanned out over the earth as in Genesis 1:11, also
'sperm, semen' for the emitted fertilizing fluid, as in Leviticus 15:32, and
the result of procreation multiplying and spreading over the land as in
Genesis 13:16.

>From the same root we have also ZRO(A , 'arm', as in Deuteronomy 33:20, for
the folding up and spreading out upper, or for-, limb system.

Notice also the semantic affinity of the roots ZR( and SR( [with sin],
'spread out', as in Isaiah 28:20.

Isaac Fried, Boston University