[b-hebrew] Spelling changes in the BHS

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Jan 5 16:16:58 EST 2008

Dear Mark,

Shelah/Shalah of Gen. 10:24 and 1 Chr. 1:18 is spelled exactly the same in
Hebrew of both books, including the shift from segol (e) to qamatz (a). The
other two names are clearly cases of simple scibal error: I would guess that
the spelling "Meshech" in 1 Chr. 1:17 in stead of "Mash" in Gen. 10:23 was
influenced by the better-known Meshech that appears in verse 2/5 of the same
chapter (in both books). The change from "Obal" to "Ebal" is simply because
the Waw in Gen. was written as a graphically similar Yod in 1 Chr. (or maybe
in the source used by 1 Chr.).

In any case, there is nothing more "truly Semitic" in the Gen. spellings or
"more Aramaic" in the Chr. spellings, besides which of course Aramaic is
just as "Semitic" a language as Hebrew.

Hope that helps,

Yigal Levin