[b-hebrew] The Name "Joseph"

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Jan 1 05:16:42 EST 2008

Jim,

You may be deluding yourself in thinking that the name Joseph is a
grammatically structured Hebrew word.  It may well be that the initial YO in
this name is the YA in his father’s name and the YI in his grandfather’s
name, being all holly names.

The fact that the bible in Genesis 30:23-24 gives two accounts or
justifications for the name is reason enough for caution.

Isaac Fried, Boston University