[b-hebrew] Joshua 15: 52-59: Hill Country Cities?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Dec 29 14:52:59 EST 2008

Hi Jim,

Nice try, but it doesn't work. And thanks for the compliment, but please
don't over-do it.
I'll try to be brief.

1. The Judahite town-list in Josh. 15:20-62 is a self-contained document.
Most modern scholars would assert that it cannot reflect the reality of
Joshua's day and so must reflect a later period, sometime during the
Monarchy, but this does not effect our geographical discussion.
2. The list divides the land of Judah into four geographical regions: the
Negev (sometimes translated simply "south", but better understood as a
proper name) in vss. 21-32; the Shephelah (sometimes translated "valleys" or
"lowlands", but better understood as a proper name) 33-44; the Hill Country
48-60; and the Desert (or "steppes"), 61-62. This is a real geographical
division of the land, which is also reflected in other biblical texts.
3. The first and last of these regions are areas of low population density,
and so large areas are listed as a single area. The Shephelah and the Hills,
which are more crowded, are further sub-divided into "districts"; the
Shephelah into three and the Hills into five. The towns of each "district"
are counted seperately, and each ends with the formula "so-and-so towns and
their fields" (I'm not getting into a discussion of what "Hatserim" are in
this context). And each of these "districts" is in fact a well-defined
geographical area. The first Shephelah district (33-36), for example, is
made up of the Sorek and Elah valleys.
4. What Jim did not mention, is that the Septuagint version of this list
preserves an additional Hill-Country district, which includes the area
immediately south of Jerusalem, with places like Bethlehem and Tekoa. This
makes a total of 11 "districts".
5. Jim did note that vss. 45-47 seem out of place. They begin with Ekron,
which is in the Shephelah, but then continue with Ashdod and Gaza on the
coast. These are of course three of the five Philistine cities that were not
under direct Judahite rule. They are also worded differently, and include a
segment of a border description. The general scholarly consensus is that
these verses were taken from a different source and added here by an editor,
in order to make the "ideal" terretory of Judah include the coast. Maybe.
6. It's important to note, that translating the Hebrew word 'ir, plural
'arim, as "city" is misleading. In biblical Hebrew, an 'ir is really any
place of permanent settlement that is larger than a farm. An 'ir can be
large or small, fortified or not. So really "town" would be better, and some
of them would really have been "villages" to us. So Jim's comment about "it
is hard to see how hill country south of Jerusalem could contain that many
cities" is really irrelevant.
7. True, not all of the towns in the list can be identified. But of the
towns that Jim would like to "transfer" from the Shephelah to the Ayalon
Valley (52-59), quite a few ARE identified in the Hills, either through
additional refferences to them or through preservation of their names to
this day in Arabic, or by both means. These include Dumah, Beth-tappuah,
Maon, Ziph,
Carmel and Juttah in the southern district, and Halhul, Beth-zur and Gedor
in the area north of Hebron and south of Bethlehem. Maarath, while itself
unidentified, is clearly within this district.
8. It is true that the Ayalon Valley seems to be outside this list. This is
because in the tribal lists, the Ayalon Valley is the inheritance of Dan,
not of Judah. The Danite towns, including Ayalon itself, as well as
Shaalabin, are listed in Josh. 19:40-46. So they are not listed in the
Judahite list. And yes, I do realize that Zorah and Eshtaol are listed in
both the Judah and the Dan lists. This is usually taken to mean that the two
lists do not reflect the same time, and that the border shifted between the
two.
9. It is true that the MQRT of the Thutmose III list is unidentified, and
that it MAY be in the Ayalon Valley, since it comes after Gezer and Rabbah.
However, the next towns on the list are in the Beth-shean Valley in the
north, so it could be in that area as well.
10. For the Egyptian MRQT to be a Hebrew Ma'arath, you would have to prove
that: a. the Ayin in Maarath is originally a Ghayin, and b. that such a
Ghayin would be transcribed by Egyptian Q rather than G or R. And even then,
the toponym "Ma'arah/th" is fairly common. Josh. 13:4 refers to a Ma'arah in
the north.

So, nice try, but no.

Yigal Levin