[b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Mon Dec 22 03:42:46 EST 2008

Dear Yitzhaq.

Porphyry, the Neo-Platonic philosopher of the 3rd
century C.E. wrote several books against the
Christians. In his 12th book he attacked the book
of Daniel. A principal argument was that the
"prophecies" of the book must be history in
prophetic disguise, because they had been
"fulfilled," and no one can foretell the future.
His book is lost, but Jerome presents many of his
arguments and tries to refute them. A translation
of Jerome's work was made by Archer, jr., so this
is a basic source. Braverman is also an important
source, because it comments on Jerome and
Porphyry and refer to rabbinic sources as well. A
tendency that we already see in Porphyry is that
events in the life of Antiochus IV are colored
and adjusted in order to let them fit the words
of Daniel. Therefore, Mörkholm is an important
source, because he  discusses all the sources we
have about the life of Antiochus IV, and writes
his history. All three sources have "a reputed
non-religious position on the section". Mörkholm
is a historian "supporting the view that the
events mentioned in the verses were accomplished
in the time of Antiochus IV". the book of Archer
jr. is a translation of Jerome, and Braverman's
discussion is descriptive.

Other works I would recommend and which I use in my studies are:

J.J. Collins (1993) "Daniel" in the Hermeneia series.
L. Wood (1973) "A Commentary on Daniel"
J.M. Montgomery (repr. 1972) "A Critical and
Exegetical Commentary on the Book of Daniel" ICC
C.F. Keil & F. Delitzsch (repr. 1976) "Commentary
on the Old Testament in ten volumes, volume 7,
Ezekiel and Daniel". this is an old but important
work.
F. E. Gaeblein general ed. (1985) The Expositors Bible commentary, volume 7
J. A. Goldstein (1976) "I Maccabees" The Anchor Bible
J. A. Goldstein (1984) "II Maccabees" The Anchor Bible

There are also many fine monographs that deal
with Daniel and Antiochus IV. I am not aware of
any modern scholarly work where the author argues
against the view that several verses in the book
of Daniel refer to Antiochus IV. However, there
are too many parrots in the world who simply
repeat what the authorities say. In my view, to
challenge what is universally accepted is a fine
scientific approach.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli Ph.D
University of Oslo