[b-hebrew] Daniel 9:24-27

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Sun Dec 21 02:24:24 EST 2008

Hi Rolf!

I have no qualms with the epistemology you've outlined. I'm in complete agreement with you. This is why I said I could not dismiss your forthcoming theory on Daniel before having considered it. Nonetheless, you would have to admit that there is strong evidence for the current scholarly consensus on Daniel. This does not mean it cannot be challenged; quite to the contrary -- this is what our discipline thrives on. As such, I encourage you in your efforts to challenge the consensus. However, we also need to have a healthy dose of epistemological humility and realise that there must be some good reasons why the current scholarly consensus is the current scholarly consensus.

The moral of the story: You don't just need to prove your point of view, but also show why it trumps previous points of view. That's standard methodology if you want to dethrone the current consensus.

I look forward to your work being published. All the best with it.

BTW - your analysis of NGS in no way prevents seeing Heliodorus in the text.

Regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)
www.moore.edu.au